Updated: Nov 21
Eye-Movement, Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy can be conducted either intensively or weekly. The benefits of an EMDR intensive include:
1. Faster progress: An intensive approach allows for more sessions in a shorter period of time, which can lead to a faster resolution of trauma symptoms, one intensive session as the equivalent of months of therapy
2. Intense treatment: You’re focusing on the already agreed-upon treatment goals so your EMDR intensive allows for a deeper processing of traumatic memories
3. Increased accountability: An intensive approach can increase the accountability of both a therapist and client, helping to ensure that the client makes progress towards their therapeutic goals
4. Focused processing: This is ideal for clients who have one or two specific concerns. They are clear they want to work on.
Conversely, benefits of weekly therapy may include:
1. Gradual progress: The slower pace of weekly therapy can be helpful for some individuals as it allows for a gradual processing of traumatic memories
2. Better integration: Weekly therapy allows for time between sessions for the individual to integrate and process the work done in therapy. You can still do this with an intensive, but you will have to coordinate with your therapist how to go about the follow-up.
3. Reduced intensity: The slower pace of weekly therapy can reduce the intensity of therapy, making it a good option for individuals who may not be able to tolerate an intensive approach
4. More flexibility: Weekly sessions are better for clients that want more flexibility on what they discuss in session. They may have some awareness of what their struggles are, and they want to be able to flow through all of them in therapy.
Ultimately, the choice between an intensive or a weekly approach, will depend on the client, specific needs, therapeutic goals and personal preferences. Either way, consult with Sally-Anne in order to determine whether intensive EMDR Therapy may be a good fit for you.
Are you based in B.C. or in Victoria, BC for in person sessions and want to schedule an EMDR Intensive for yourself? Sally-Anne welcomes you to